wip Wednesday 03. 07. 2012

I'm still totally, helplessly hooked on granny squares. I finished my granny quilt last week and I thought that was it.

 

You see, I really don't like to use the same pattern twice. One time is usually all I need to get it out of my system and move on. Well, not this time. I've actually started working on my second Granny Square quilt. This was the first block I made.


Even though I'm using the same block pattern, I decided to take a different route this time. I'm not working with scraps, I'm using my yardage of Hope Valley by Denyse Schmidt and Heirloom by Joel Dewberry. Cutting all squares from just two pattern fabrics, as opposed to cutting each one separately from my scraps, makes putting these blocks together so much easier.


Also, instead of cutting each square to be 2.5", I cut my squares at 3.5", this way I end up with a 13.25" block. I'm planning on making 12 blocks and sashing them the same way I did with my previous granny quilt. I hope these bigger, bolder blocks will make for a nice, modern interpretation of this beautiful, fun block.

I'm happy to say that I was not the only one quilting in my house this weekend. My 6 year old son joined me and "designed" his own quilt using my scraps and reject blocks. I let him use half of my design wall, this is what it looks like.

Well, I'm off to enjoy the rest of this gorgeous day - it's 60 degrees here in Chicago, yay!!!

Have a wonderful day, Svetlana.